Tourist attractions in Busteni When your steps lead you to the upper fields of Prahova Valley you can notice, by reflecting with the mind's eye, the monuments within the mountain resort Busteni. The house or villa with local particularities has a country-like architecture, a veranda foreseen with poles supporting the arches in Brancovenesc style, and in the roof's pediment built in two or four stages is to be found the slim appearance of a little tower with 2, 4 or 6 sides, on top of which one or two spears rise high in the sky like the legendary bird of Brancusi. The access stairs are made of stone, where the gouge of the unknown sculptor has created, on the lower side, a zone of quarry stones placed into a remarkable and unique geometrical design. Among the well-known monuments in the city there are worth mentioning:
The Cross of the Romanian Heroes The biggest and most valuable monument of the mountain resort, unique in the country, is the Cross of the Romanian heroes who died on the battlefields fighting for the reunification of the country. It has been built during the years 1926-1927, at the request of Her Majesty Queen Mary and it is placed on the lap of Caraiman Mountain. At a height of 2291 m, the cross is made of steel sections, arranged on a steel concrete foundation, and inside it there is a room which has initially sheltered the electric power generator supplying the 300 light bulbs of 500 W each. The monument's size is impressive, the cross being 48 m high and 14 m wide. At night, when the sky is clear and the lights are on, the viewer enjoys an amazing and holly image, seeing a huge cross bordered by the infinite stars on the celestial vault.
In the center of the city On Libertatii Blvd., in the area comprised between the statue entitled "The Last Grenade" and Bariera CFR Street, during the years 1887-1889 the Civic Center has been built, whose age exceeds 110 years. This group of buildings, most of which are preserved even today, is made of: on the left side: The Royal Church, - The Elementary School - burnt in 1987 and rebuilt today preserving mainly the frontage of the original building - Busteni Hotel, today the Town Hall. Please note that the building of the original Town Hall has been demolished in 1967 in order to build the Caraiman Complex, and the wooden curves placed in the city park, on which rose thickets used to grow, have also evanished; - on the right side there have been built some villas for living. One of these villas, after being refurbished, became the "Maison Franco-Roumain"
The Cantacuzino Castle
The castle, some of the caves, waterfalls and artesian fountains have been built in 1911, all placed in the park the owner of which has been the prince Gheorghe Cantacuzino also called "Nababu". The castle, from an architectural point of view, is known as one of the first Romanian castles and today it has became the office of the Interior Ministry's Sanatorium and as soon as the new Sanatorium office is finished, the castle shall be reintegrated in the travelling tour.
The Monument "The Last Grenade" The "Last Grenade" monument, located between the Royal Church and the railway station, was built in 1928 at the request of the Paper Factory's Manager - Otto Schiel. The statue has been raised as a memorial for the war hero "Corporal Vasile Musat", who died during the First World War. It is the work of the sculptor Dumitru Barlad and it shows the corporal throwing the grenade into the enemy's camp, using his right hand, the only one which was not injured. Corporal Musat was born in 1890 in the Commune Domnesti - Arges. He fought in battalion 1 within the 2nd regiment of frontier guards, whose task was to protect the frontier in the area of Susai Mountain, from Predeal and Prahova Valley. He fought near Brasov and in the Olt pass at Caineni. He has been injured for several times during the fights, but, driven by a strong patriotic feeling he refused to retire behind the battlefield. Transferred to a military unit in Vrancei Mountains, his left arm was injured. Admitted to the military hospital in Iasi, he had his arm cut off. Despite this, he refused to be discharged, and kept taking part in battles and throwing grenades with his healthy arm. He died as a hero during the fight from Oituz. At the monument's inauguration on September 9, 1928 Her Majesty Herself took part in the event, followed by all her attendants.
Reservation of industrial and urban architecture- labor settlement at IHB (1900)- dwellings in the precincts of the paper factory (1900)- manufacturing plants in the precincts of the paper factory- labor dwelling blocks in the precincts of the paper factory (1880)- household appurtenances - manufacturing places of the paper factory (1920-1940)
Cezar Petrescu Villa In the city there are many other buildings the architecture of which entitles us to enumerate them among the local monuments, namely: Villa - Memorial Museum "Cezar Petrescu" - writer and journalist - the museum comprises the writer's private library (10304 books, three quarters of which are written in French). In the lobby one can admire the three sculptures signed by Oscar Han, and on the walls, some works created by painters like: Jiquidi, H. Dumitru, Iser and G. Loewenti; Villa "Nestor Urechia"� - writer, journalist and engineer; Villa "Gheorghe Titeica"� - internationally known academic and mathematician; Villa "Tudor Vianu"� - university lecturer, historian and literary reviewer; Villa "Lucretiu Patrascanu" - lawyer and political figure; Villa "D. Leonida"� - lecturer, founder of the Bucharest technical Museum; Villa "Cunescu"� - lawyer and political figure; Villa "Aura Buzescu"� - actress; Villa "Gheorghe Lupu"� - university lecturer, doctor and political figure; Villa "Madgiaru"� - economist and political figure; Villa "Borneanu"� - doctor. - Urban house in romantic style: 236 Libertatii Street; - urban house in Romanian Revival style: 250 Libertatii Street; - urban house in traditional style ("Piscului Villa"�): 5 Soimului Street; - urban house in Romanian revival style (the kindergarten): 4O Zambilelor Street; another impressive and symbolic building is represented by the old casino and hotel - today and orphanage, located on 1 Traian Street.
The Royal Church The Royal Church, made of quarry stone, is a smaller reproduction of Horezu Monastery, through its architecture, interior fittings and antiquity. It is one of the city's most remarkable monuments. It is an orthodox church built in 1889, a construction in the name of King Carol I and Queen Elisabeth whose natural-size painting is to be found in the narthex. Having the form of a cross, with two differently-shaped domes, it has been erected by the Italian constructors lead by Dreossi. The furniture is made of solid oak and the iconostasis, thought to be the most beautiful in Romania, has been elaborated in Vienna. The original sacred images preserved have been painted by Ghe Tatarascu and his apprentices. The original painting in the altar has the signature of the same author who painted the one in Sinaia Monastery, i.e. - Agnes Exner
Liberty Boulevard On Libertatii Blvd, between no. 208 and 210 there are two benches made of processed hard rock, built and positioned here due to the concern of the restless, mountain loving - Nestor Urechia.
The bench called "La Regina" / "At the Queen'" located in the forest after around 2 km, in the place named "La Fierastrau" / "At the Saw", is an art of work made of massive stone, built on September 17, 1888. Somewhere on the path leading from Caminul Alpin to Poiana Costilei, there is a triptych made of sculpted wood, in Maramures style.